This recipe is a staple of mine, during the week I meal prep mainly 1 of 2 recipes, this one and a Coconut Chickpea Curry-recipe coming shortly and eat that for dinner during the week, with weekends being reserved for more extravagant meals, and the occasional (or not so occasional) takeaway. I’ve had this chili with rice, in burritos and over nachos and I can say in all instances it hits the spot.
Prep Time- 15 minutes| Cook Time- 3–6 hours | Servings- 5/6
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable broth
- 400g cooked kidney beans
- 400g cooked butter beans
- 400g cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Franks)
- 1–2 teaspoons chipotle chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
*If using dried beans soak for at least 8 hours but ideally overnight & then cook on the hob on a high heat for 20–30 minutes*
- Sauté the onion and pepper in a little oil for 5 minutes, then and the garlic and sauté for a further few minutes. (this isn’t an essential step but I promise it makes all the difference)
- Place the beans and sautéed vegetables in to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, hot sauce and spices, mix well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or 5–6 hours on low.
- Serve and enjoy! This keeps in the fridge for around a week and can also be frozen.